Maximum Torque Specialists Cadillac Forums  

Go Back   Maximum Torque Specialists Cadillac Forums > Cadillac Tech > Transmissions and drive-trains

Transmissions and drive-trains Troubleshoot, repair, rebuild.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
drdave
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Did you change the cam at all? Did you degree the cam?

Not sure how quickly your A/F meter warms up, but looks pretty lean initially, ok after it warms up.

My 500 was not so great at starting, and didn't have much low end grunt, until I realized I had turned the mixture screw in another 1/4 turn (4 years ago before going to Europe) to see if it would get better mileage. Pretty much made everything worse. Much happier now that I undid that brain fart of an idea.

Dave
__________________
drdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
beatified
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave View Post
Did you change the cam at all? Did you degree the cam?

Not sure how quickly your A/F meter warms up, but looks pretty lean initially, ok after it warms up.

My 500 was not so great at starting, and didn't have much low end grunt, until I realized I had turned the mixture screw in another 1/4 turn (4 years ago before going to Europe) to see if it would get better mileage. Pretty much made everything worse. Much happier now that I undid that brain fart of an idea.

Dave
I did put a cam in just an rv cam though. I didn't degree it though, I just used the timing marks on the Cloyes timing set. I would guess that would be sufficient.
I would guess that if mixture is ok when warm that it should be pretty close since I would figure that your supposed to set it with the car warmed up. I am clueless of how to set mixture by ear so in the end I just went by the A/F gauge and tried to set it as close to 14.7 as possible.
And my A/F gauge warms up very quickly and the little led goes out when the gauge is warmed up.
beatified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Schurkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatified View Post
I did put a cam in just an rv cam though. I didn't degree it though, I just used the timing marks on the Cloyes timing set. I would guess that would be sufficient.
Sometimes, that's all that's needed

Sometimes, it's not.

Problem is, you pretty much won't know that it's correct unless you degree the cam. Everything else is just guesswork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatified View Post
I would guess that if mixture is ok when warm that it should be pretty close since I would figure that your supposed to set it with the car warmed up. I am clueless of how to set mixture by ear so in the end I just went by the A/F gauge and tried to set it as close to 14.7 as possible.
Almost certainly too lean. Set idle mixture with a vacuum gauge. Adjust for highest vacuum, then lean the mixture enough to reduce vacuum by about 1/4--1/2 inch. Doesn't affect idle quality very much, but makes a major improvement in tailpipe emissions.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.